Chris's Change of Command

Chris's Change of Command

Daily Bible Verse

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Making Mental Notes Just Doesn't Cut It

So I'm blogging about our sleep journey with Miss Hannah Beth, because I KNOW I will forget every detail of how we achieved sleep at nap time and at night. It was only 4 years and 4 months since I had had a newborn when Hannah arrived but I don't remember the little details of how and when Hayley and Luke started taking good naps and sleeping through the night. I remember somethings like Hayley didn't really sleep through the night until she was about 9 and a half months and Luke took 20 to 30 minute naps the first few months of his sweet little life. But, when all was said and done, I dumped all the info on just how we got there. And if God chooses to bless us with number 4 (I have learned it is really not up to me anyhow), I want to know the details of how we did things with Hannah to at least have a starting point.

I say WE when talking about Hannah's sleep because we all know the sweat and tears that Mama and Daddy shed while going through sleep training with and infant. She does well at this point taking 3 naps a day and sleeping through the night most of the time. I still feed her at 10:30 pm so she can get through the night. Sometimes she wakes around 4:00am and I have to go in and re-swaddle and give her a paci. Oh, the swaddle!!!! It is a blessing and a curse. She loves it so much and truly gave us more sleep when she was a newborn. But now she has a love/hate relationship with the swaddle. Loves to be wrapped tight but then wiggles free and doesn't know what to do to fall back asleep. We are trying the one arm out method to wean her off the blanket (that sounds like she needs rehab or something) which seemed to work well last night. She only cried about 30 minutes before drifting off to sleep last night and she slept until 4:00am. I went in and re swaddled her and she slept until 6:00am. Not too bad.

Most of you reading this are probably thinking, "Blah blah blah, it is just sleep and they all figure it out." Wait, who am I kidding, I have one follower (Hi, Dana). So sorry to bore you with my sleep story. I promise next post will be more fun!!! Yes, they all figure it out, but if I can help them figure it out with less crying and more good sleep then I am all about it!!!!


So, here's to getting older (that is why mental notes don't work), getting more sleep, and hmmmm...can't think of a third one.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary... another follower here, I just don't Follow with the Blogger ap. Just thought I'd mention the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley to you. It was pretty helpful on getting 3 to nap and sleep on a regular schedule at the same time. You should see if your local library has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Miss Mary! And I love reading all about your precious babies!!! Since we are sugically sure we are done, done, done, I LOVE to live vicariously through you and remember when I had a teensy baby figuring out how to sleep!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks!