Chris's Change of Command

Chris's Change of Command

Daily Bible Verse

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Meet Gibby











Anyone who knows me would say that I am not a big fan of little creatures of the night. Gena, if you are reading this, you know you are my hero! She saved me from a mouse in our house in Jacksonville. It was quite the spectacle involving an air vent, a large plastic box, heavy books, a mouse trap, a pair of tongs that now live in a trash dump somewhere, and lots of squealing and screaming (not with delight).
Luke comes home SO excited about his new class pet, Gibby. Yes, Gibby is of the nocturnal rodent kind, a hamster. My skin began to crawl just thinking about the little fur ball. Luke began to explain that Mrs. W had said students could bring Gibby home for an overnight stay to anyone whose parents would let them. He was so stinking thrilled about the possibility, who was I to crush the little man's dreams. Reluctantly, I said yes to having our little overnight guest, thinking Chris could handle the whole deal. Come to find out that the night we were assigned with Gibby, was the night that Chris teaches and doesn't get home until 9:30pm or so. GREAT!
We brought Gibby home and watched her/him (not sure which one) make a nest and play in her cage. I have to admit, Gibby was pretty cute. But then, Luke wanted me to take her out and put her in the little exercise ball. Oh my! I have to touch Gibby.....I began to panic but then decided that I was 10 times bigger than the little thing and I could do this!!! I successfully got Gibby into her ball and the kids had so much fun chasing her around. I was praying that she didn't escape and run and hide somewhere. Luckily, no escaping and I got her back into the cage with no problems.
So....will we ever have a pet hamster? That remains to be seen. Gibby was a very good overnight guest and the kids just LOVED her. Not sure about having one as a permanent resident in the Steele house. Only time will tell.......




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile! Thanks!