Chris's Change of Command

Chris's Change of Command

Daily Bible Verse

Friday, June 10, 2011

This Blogging Thing...

Why do I do this blogging thing? 
At first, it was a great way to record the day to day of our life while Chris was deployed to Iraq.  Whenever he got the chance (which was maybe once a month), he could sign on and check out the blog to see us.  He could read about how Luke and Hayley were growing and my thoughts.  It was easier for him to get caught up on us this way rather than the 5 minute phone calls every other week. 

Then I continued blogging so our families could read about what we were up to.  Being so far from our parents and siblings, this blog was a way for us to keep in touch. 

When we moved to VA, my dear friend and neighbor, Sue, told me about making my blog into a book.  WHAT?!?!  Tell me more, please.
She too had been blogging about her families adventures, and had published the first year of her blog into a hard bound book.  One look at her book and I was SOLD. 

I'm not a scrapbooker and I rarely print photos anymore.  I thought this book would be a great way to document our lives and such a treasure to have and read through as the years go by (way to quickly). 

I have now published 2 books:  2007-2008 and then 2009



It takes a little time, but after a few weeks of working an hour or two at night I have my end product.
Blurb is where you can download the software and then upload your finished book to their website for publication.


I sit with the kids and read and look and laugh.  Sometimes I choke back the tears from the sweet sweet memories.  I have written down somethings that I would have never remembered on my own. 


I catch Chris browsing through our books too.  I think he loves them as much as I do.


I now try and find a few minutes in each day (sometimes week) to write something.  Something that I don't want to ever forget.  Something that I want my children to be able to look back at and read when they are grown and remember.


So that is why I do this thing called blogging.


To capture precious memories


So we will never forget them!

DISCLAIMER:
THIS IS WHAT MY COMPUTER ROOM LOOKS LIKE AFTER A 5 TO 10 MINUTE BLOG SESSION:




Well worth the clean up!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Mary, you have inspired me to get back to my blog. I was dedicated to it before I got on Facebook, and then suddenly Facebook sucked up all my time. And I had always intended to use Blurb to turn my blog into a book, since I also don't scrapbook. Now I'm going to HAVE to do it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of making a book...how wonderful!! I'm visiting from Kelly's Korner. So glad I came across your blog. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do this SO badly! I've been wanting to make a book forever now and just need to get on the ball and do it!! If it is any comfort, my rooms can look FAR worse after my blogging sessions ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! Thanks!